Thursday 8 September 2016

Everest

Day 1

As I lay in the crisp snow it slowly eats away my only body warmth I need to survive.My skin screams every time I make a move.It feels like my skin is one with the icy snow.
Why did I even want to come here?  Now because of me I’m risking my life.I sit up bend forward and check my fingers,they are purple, solid and extremely sore.

I don’t have anything on me, I lost everything when I slipped. I only have the clothes on my back and a crushed biscuit in my pocket to live off.

I’m literally hanging by a thread on the side of this powder-covered mountain.The only things holding me here are my crampons and my reliable ice axe.  I would say I’m roughly two thousand meters above ground and if I slip it would be a deadly ending.

Anything could go wrong in the matter of seconds.

Day 2

A night and day has past and I need help severely.  The cold is making my strength deteriorate and I’m nearly the size of a matchstick,I also think my hypothermia will soon become deadly.  I’m too tired, too weak to hold on any longer,when will my help arrive?But on the other hand I don’t want to move as I’m in pain and scared of what could happen if I do. The best thing to do is to sleep. That’s the only way I can escape the cold for a minute.

Icicles start to form at the end of my nostrils, the cold wind whips my face and the bright snow blinds my eyes.

Day 3

With my health worsening I need to find a way down fast. I try hard to think but my brain is frozen numb. I then see a helicopter flying high going in and out of the clouds that hug the gigantic mountain, I do everything in my power to get the pilot’s attention. After minutes of waving, yelling, screaming and pretty much anything it just slowly fades into the distance.

I think the only way out now is to use my crampons and slide down the mountain and slowly manoeuvre around big rocks to the bottom.  I have no choice. I get into a suitable position to do so and start on the big slope.

My tongues dry and my stomach is growling for food and my feet are starting to cramp up from wearing the crampons for so long.I try to push through the pain and think about all the things I could live for when I do get out.


After a few hours of moving quickly I’m now 200 meters above ground. My hands are now solid and they crunch as I bend them to grasp the ice axe. Tears start rolling down my cheeks because I know that help and safety is very near.

As people rush out to help me I thank god he brought me back safe and I kiss the ground beneath my feet.

By Hollie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.